Sunday, May 02, 2010

Bat and the moon

The other evening, I was standing at the bus stop, waiting for the bus. It was just 1 day before full moon night. The angle of the eye with respect to the moon was 30 degrees. The moon was almost round and was radiating light beautifully. I was admiring the beauty of the moon when I saw some bats flying. This was not surprising becuase there is a bat colony in the area where I was. After I saw a few bats, I thought - "Can I see a bat in flight, wings at full stretch, right in front of the moon?" I wanted to see that sight and was hoping for it. However, I was also keeping an eye on the traffic and the bus. One group of bats flew by, but no luck. All of them avoided the path that I was hoping for - none of them came in front of the moon. Soon I saw my bus in the distance. Immediately I saw a second group of bats approaching. I was hoping that this might be the group which will fulfil my desire. But that was not to be... The closest I got to my desire was when half the right wing of one of the bats came in front of the moon. I still couldn't see what I wanted. But nevertheless, I consoled myself that I saw a part of the wing of a bat in front of the moon. I quickly checked the position of my bus. Thanks to the traffic, it was moving slowly, but steadily, much closer to the stop than where I had seen it earlier. I was thinking if I would get a chance to see what I wanted to see. And I saw a third group of bats flying. 2 - 3 bats flew by, and I continued to wait. Then the moment came... One bat flew directly in my line of sight with the moon - wings fully stretched, almost in the centre of the moon. It was a beautiful moment. It reminded me of Batman and his batsign, the one that is seen above Gotham when Gotham or its citizens are in trouble. Though the moment lasted less than 1 second, it was more than enough to make me smile. The only thing that I missed then was my camera... Else, I would have captured that moment forever. :)

And my bus arrived at the bus stop, just as the full group of bats flew away. I did not miss the bus, nor did I miss what I wanted to see. Thank you GOD for making this possible for me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home