Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Saala main to Eskimo ban gaya...

The last 2 days have been very very cold. Here, it is not just the temperature that matters. Add to the temperature is the wind chill which makes it feel as if the temperature is lower than it actually is.

It had snowed very heavily on Saturday. And it was extremely cold on Sunday. Since it was a holiday, I did not bother to check the temperature on Sunday. But it was surely below 0 degrees celcius. Yesterday, i.e. on Monday, I checked the temperature before leaving for office so that I could plan my winterwear accordingly. I saw that the temperature was -12 degrees C. And the windchill made it feel as if it was -21 degrees C. Now, such temperatures are never heard of in Bombay. OK, I can understand if you remove the minus sign from -21 and tell me that this is the temperature in Bombay. Yes, winter temperature in Bombay can be 21 degrees sometimes or a little more than sometimes. But -21... This is too much. Or should I say this is too less... So I donned my winter jacket on top of my blazer, covered my head with my faithful skull cap, followed it up with the hood of my jacket and then wore my gloves. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I added a muffler too for extra security. But the muffler was completely overshadowed by my jacket. Even I could not believe myself that I had worn a muffler till I removed my jacket. And my chin too was covered by the collar of my jacket. Now that I was well covered, I bravely stepped out of my building. My face went cold... There was nothing to protect my face. But I managed. And the only thought that came to my mind was - I was looking like an 'Eskimo'. Bas yahi din dekhna reh gaya tha. Even though there were no Eskimos in sight, I am sure I was a part of their clan. It was so damn cold that I was sure, Eskimos use their refrigerator to keep food hot unlike us who use it to keep the fold cold. After all why would you keep your food cold inside a refrigerator when the temperature itself is so cold???

Today morning I again checked the temperature to help me plan my winter wear. It was -11 degress C but the windchill made it feel like -18 or -19 degrees C. So I donned the same armour that I had worn yesterday. Today I ensured that the hood of the jacket covered my head properly and along with the skull cap also protected my forehead. My chin and to a certain extent, my mouth were covered by the collar of my jacket. The only part of my face that was now exposed was the part from my eyes to my upper lip. I was immediately reminded of scuba divers / snorkellers. I think I should buy the goggles that scuba divers / snorkellers wear. It covers their eyes and nose and the area between the nose and the upper lip. Then I will be fully covered... well, almost... I seriously wonder - how do people stay in such cold climates. And the snow that fell on Saturday is still lying around. The roads are clear, but the rooftops, the trees, the lawns, the sidewalk, the divider, etc are all still covered in snow. It seems that we are living in a cold desert or an ice desert.

I guess the only way to beat this cold is -
Aye Ganpat... chal daru la
Jyada soda, kam thoda paani mila...

If you have any other and better alternatives (and I am sure you guys will not disappoint me) feel free to share them with me.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous My Meow Mooos said...

Good one.
A photo could have better explained your Yes-key-Mo appearance.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jyotsna said...

:) :) i for one detest the cold and snow..give me sun any time..
am sure you will cope and actually miss it when summer comes

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home