Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Cellularly challenged!!!

Whenever I meet someone or talk to someone, there is one common question that I come across - "What is your cell number?" And I really don't know how to reply. For the simple reason that I am "cellularly challenged". In other words, I do not have a cell phone. It seems that a cell phone has become one of the basic necessities of life, along with 'Roti', 'Kapda' and 'Makaan'. It has been a conscious decision to remain cellularly challenged, for 'n' reasons which are best not made public. :-) Besides, the moment I hear the word 'cell phone', there is only 1 image that crosses my mind - a (unshaven, untidy) man talking on a phone (landline) in his (prison) cell.

It doesn't matter who I am talking to... Be it Miss M or Mr. A or Miss R or Mr. S - they are all surprised to know that I am surviving without a cell phone. I am getting a feeling that a cell phone is more important than oxygen... Or is it just a figment of my imagination? Though this is not the first time that my friends have been asking me to buy a cell phone. But it is after a long long time that these questions have been thrown at me. And this time, I don't have any answer. Some of the questions are as follows-

Mr. S - Tera cell number kya hai? Oh, haan, main jaanta hoon tu cell nahi use karta, lekin iske peeche kya funda hai yeh mujhe samajh nahi aata.

Miss M - How am I supposed to contact you Sumi?

Mr. A's fiance - How do we reach you if you are not at home and you don't have a cell phone either?

Miss R - What if we want to disturb you? How can we disturb you if you don't have a cell phone?


I understand the concerns that these questions convey. But I do have a landline number, which I share with my friends. So if anyone needs to contact me, they can call me up at my landline number. And if I am not at home, they can leave a message for me. But this doesn't seem to suit everyone. And if I keep getting queries regarding my cell number at this rate, I don't think I will remain cellularly challenged for long. I will be forced to get a cellular subscription and change my status from 'Cellularly challenged' to 'Cellularly connected'. Lets see how soon does this transformation take place.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sumeet Bhai,

Whatever you say....every coin has two sides! I am going to experience the 2nd side very soon ... in Dec when I am going for my Honeymoon:-) But all said & done the fact remains... You are not easily reachable, aur hame aunty ko baar baar disturb nahi karna! Warna vaapas tujhe pack karke pardes bhej degi;-)...Ashu.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martin Cooper's cell phone invention will go waste if you won't use it. Every thing is made for some good reason siji :)

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home